Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Today...

Can kiss my ass.

I am trying to remain zen and calm, it's not working. Ok, so in short here's the deal: I hate corporate America. Especially the insurance industry. I am changing jobs (surprise) and as such my insurance is ending. I have a day off before I start said new job and I had scheduled TONS of very necessary doctors appointments. As I was under the impression my insurance would continue until the end of the work week per the employee handbook. Apparently, this was an old edition. My insurance? Ends tonight at midnight. So the appointments I had to make weeks and months in advance I had to cancel. Why?

Well...I'll tell you. Because I haven't OFFICIALLY paid for my Cobra insurance yet, even though by law it's active as of midnight tonight, I can't use this insurance at the doctor's tomorrow. Ergo, I would have to pay in full for some very pricey, and needed, blood tests. Then I would have to take the bill that I have already paid and try and get it back from the Cobra insurance company, once I have paid them my $700 per month fee. The doctor's appointment alone is about $300 and the tests are estimated to be within $1000 to $3000 dollars. Um...no thanks?

So I spent today cancelling my appointments and then promptly bursting into tears. Because I am a big ol' girl and am irritated. Not only because I can not do the tests for awhile, but also because I had decided after talking with my mom about the importance of said tests and at her urging, to not go visit my grandpa this weekend for his 85th birthday and instead go to the doctors. So now my family is flying to see him, and I will sit in my apartment. On the plus side, I will more than likely be very very drunk.

In short I leave you with this: I really really really fucking hate big business and the lack of universal health care. (and I like wine)

3 comments:

gamerbri said...

Hey hey, I know just what you mean for sure. As one that is just now going to the doctor for the first time in 3 years this Friday. Not having insurance sucks big donkey balls. good luck with the new job for sure. wishing you all the best.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, Lady! I hate the insurance industry too and government. COBRA could be a million times better if the freaking g-men would get some balls and stand up to the insurance industry. And, COBRA will never reimburse you. I had to be on COBRA for a month in between jobs and the pharmacist basically told me to forget about ever getting reimbursed for my perscriptions (that I had to pay in full) for the month. Of course, if we didn't have the insurance industry then we'd never have New Jersey (since it is basically their state economy with a little bit of gaming thrown in there for good measure). But, who likes New Jersey?
Taking off my soapbox platform heels now...

j.h.k. said...

I am without insurance. (Crossing fingers I don't find myself in a collision exceeding 5 miles per hour)