Monday, April 14, 2008

Memories

Today is the one year anniversary of my Grandma's death. As such I would like to share a memory. I was 6 or so and sitting around with her and her other (biological) grand daughter, Kim. It was about 110 degrees at 9PM and her air conditioning wasn't working well. Kim and I were laying on the ground too warm to even play cards or watch TV when my grandma stood up, closed her book and said 'That's it! Follow me'

We did, of course. We followed her as she made her way through the house to the back door kicking off her slippers and shedding her robe, muttering the whole way how it wasn't sane for a person to live in a state this hot. When we reached the back door she was stripped down to her underwear, looked at us and said 'well, what are you waiting for?' That's when Kim and I laughed, got down to our skivvies and jumped in the above ground pool.

We all swam around in circles for hours in our underwear. Floated on our backs and stared at the full moon while my grandma told us stories about growing up in Pennsylvania and sneaking down to the creek to go skinny dipping. She laughed then and said 'you haven't lived until you've skinny dipped in the moonlight.'

Hours later when we were tucked in bed, cooled down and sated, I remember smiling and thinking that this was a fun night. And hoped I would remember it.

That was the woman who raised me, who made the smallest things fun and everything an adventure. And I miss her each and every day. So, thanks Grandma for teaching me how to have fun and let go, it's made me who I am. I love you.

1 comment:

Becky said...

That was so lovely. and brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.